It feels like forever since I actually made something! Other than mock ups I haven't actually made anything in a couple of months. And I made it just in time for the 3rd HSM challenge, YAY!
This last week I've been sick but I was feeling good enough to sew over the weekend. I was working on the mock up for my 1871 dress and I decided that I would need something to add some modesty to the low neckline.
In my research I've noticed that this type of thing wasn't a huge fashion fad at the time, but I was seeing similar things, coverings for the low necklines (a lot of them, I suspect, were removable to so the dress could also be worn in the evening without having to make a whole new bodice).
I pulled out my old Simplicity 1818 pattern that I've had literally forever (it was one of the first patterns I ever bought) and dug through my pathetic excuse of a stash to find some fabric. Luckily I actually had fabric that would work and that I liked!
I had the hardest time with the collar. As usual, the instructions were making no sense to me and the only reason I figured it out at all was because of the pictures. And even those were tough to decipher. What's worse is that the pieces weren't even the correct size! It ended up taking me till the next day to figure it out.