|The completed dress|
I draped the pattern for this dress myself, based off of a pattern from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. Below is the final mock up. After I was satisfied with the mock up I patterned it and was ready to get started on the real thing.
The fabric I used was this wonderful reproduction cotton print from Colonial Williamsburg, which I bought online. I purchased 5 yards and used up all of it.
I cut out all the pattern pieces from my fashion fabric as well as my lining fabric, which was a basic cotton muslin.
After the pieces were cut I drew the boning channels onto the muslin/lining. There was two on the front bodice piece and one on each of the other two bodice pieces on the side seams.
For the boning channels near the seams, I made sure to mark them 5/8" away from the edge so there would be enough room for my 1/2" seam allowance and a little extra. Once the channels were marked I laid my boning channels (I used bias tape) over top and stitched them down by machine.
I then proceeded to sew all of the bodice pieces together, using a 1/2" seam allowance, and ironed it all flat.
I proceeded to sew the fashion fabric bodice pieces together, again with a 1/2" seam allowance.
Once all the seams were sewn, I ironed the bodice. Instead of pressing all of the seams open flat, I ironed them toward one side, towards the front, with the exception of the center back seam. I did this so when I top stitched the seams it would appear to have the bulk that would be there if I had actually sewn it by hand.
After that I pinned and stitched the lining to the fashion fabric with right sides together all the way around the neckline.
Once it was stitched I clipped all of the curved edges so it would lay flat when turned right side out.
At this point I placed my boning into the boding channels.
And that's it for this post! I'll be sharing another post about the rest of the Polonaise soon.